Conservationist, Artist, Social Reformer, Writer and Teacher


Visit

The Birthplace House was built in about 1740 on Wisbech’s South Brink. As a Grade II* listed building, it is particularly important as a building of outstanding architectural or historic interest.

The house was home to James and Caroline Hill as they undertook the social reform activities on which their daughter’s life work was based. It was divided soon after the family left Wisbech.

In 1994, the Octavia Hill Birthplace Museum Trust (registered charity no.1018947) purchased part of the house, opening a museum that is entirely run by volunteers. It attracts visitors from all over the world.

In 2007, the Trust purchased the rest of Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House. Funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, the European Regional Development Fund and a fundraising appeal, the reunification project was completed in 2009. The first phase re-opened in March 2008… with new, enhanced displays and facilities.

Visitors will learn of the remarkable story of Octavia Hill’s life’s work and her influence on many spheres of modern life.

Test Quote